Thursday, April 4, 2013

Ancient punctuation

I still have nothing to say today! Now I'll have to think of something useless... Some monks in the 12th century used punctuation symbols that nowadays are entirely unheard of, such as the following: the positura, a small mark that looks slightly like 7, which notified the end of a chapter or page; a mark of an unknown name that looked like a gallows (oddly enough, just one of them), which alerted to the beginning of a paragraph before the indent was invented; and the suspensiva, a mark that looks very similar to /, which indicated a very slight pause when reading aloud. Monks tend to do odd things... So did anyone in the 12th century, really, so I probably am very misdirected in blaming them. 

5 comments:

  1. Interesting! It bugs me that, owing (I guess) to the vagaries of HTML, the indentation at the start of the paragraph seems to be becoming obsolete. Maybe we could bring back the gallows mark. Although, if we're all too lazy to press the tab button (as seems to be the case), I guess we'll be too lazy to press the gallows button as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be able to agree with you on that if I knew anything about HTML...

      Delete
  2. Surely it is counter intuitive to have the gallows at the BEGINNING of the paragraph--it needs to be at the ENDING, even though it may convey an UNPLEASANT ending.

    Cheers==
    Cool Papa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly... I suppose that it's worth mentioning that this mark came from the same early european culture which named Iceland and Greenland when they realistically are Lushland and Lavaland.

      Delete