Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Useless facts!

Hmmm... I don't have anything to say... I guess that I'll go and find some stuff...  A lux is a measurement of light... The lowest possible level of luxes isn't 0, as you might think, but it's-10 X -10 X -10 X -10 X -10 (AKA 10 to the -5 power) for absolutely no light. 200 lux is the average house light (at night when not light by the sun), 25 lux is a full moon and stars on a clear night, 1,000 lux is average daylight, 32,000 is extremely direct sunlight, and 800,000 is the inside of a supernova.

6 comments:

  1. 10 to the negative 5 means 1 over 10 to the five. It's not a negative number. It's a fraction. Weird, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm curious about the lowest possible lux. I could find that info online. Can you point me to where you found it? From what I have read, I'd guess a cave would be at 0 lux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that it was 1/10(-5th power), but maybe it is 0... I read that a cave would have been 1/10(-5th power), but really the measurements didn't make much sense where I read them... Like anyone my age, I got the measurements from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

      Delete
  3. That was the first place I looked too. I saw 10^-4 (=1/10^4) for a moonless overcast night on that page. But I didn't see caves anywhere online, and I didn't see 10^-5. So I'm very curious about it all...

    ReplyDelete